June 28, 2013

It's Just Around the Bend Part 2: We Made It!

It was a long journey, but we finally made it to the boat ramp. Even though the day started out cool it got hot by the time we finished our journey. The heat added to our exhaustion. Even though we were exhausted and a little cranky at times we still worked together. We all paddled to help us get down the river. Some of you even got in the water when it was shallow and pulled the raft down river.

We learned quickly this was not a quick sprint, but a journey of endurance. We did not have a lot of choice in the matter, this was the journey set out for us. We could not stop in the middle of it when we got tired and say, “That’s enough. I’m exhausted and I’m going to quit here.” That was not an option. There was no way to stop and go back to our car. We had no choice but to “run with endurance” (Heb. 12:1, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, we must get rid of every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and run with endurance the race set out for us.”). It is the same with our walk in Christ. We get exhausted, frustrated, and cranky sometimes, but we cannot say, “Whoa, I’m tired. I’m going to take a break from being a Christian, and not worry about the people around me and how they view Christ through me.” Sorry, we do not get to take a time out from being a witness for Christ …even to other Christians. Now let me take moment right here to say I know I am not perfect and I do not always present the best witness for Christ (a lot of times because I am tired and cranky). I am sorry for that, but I am also human, and we humans are not perfect. The Lord knows this and forgives us, but He also wants us to do our best, which is why we are to “run with endurance.” Sometimes we stopped paddling because we were so tired, but after a rest we paddled again.

Finally the boat ramp came into view and we felt our spirits lifted with the joy of seeing it. I think I even heard a little “Hallelujah” chorus from somewhere. I think we all would have shouted for joy if we had not been so tired …and too embarrassed to cheer in front of the two guides at the boat ramp. As we came within thirty yards of the boat ramp (our finish line) our joy was suddenly sucked away as we felt the raft shudder and then come to a complete stop. What happened!? The river became so shallow our raft was dragging on the bottom and would not move anymore. We all had to get out of the raft. We could have stopped right there, become angry, sat down and pouted, and told the two guys to come and carry us the rest of the way (I am sure they would have laughed and walked away …and I would not have blamed them). But we did not. We got out of the raft and several of us pulled the raft across the pebbles and shallow water. Even though the raft was heavy we pulled it all the way to the ramp, we endured. It was easier to pull the raft and endure because we were so close to the finish …it was right there, we could see it clearly. (2 Tim. 4:7, “I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith!”). It is easier to endure when you can see the finish line, but when the finish line is out of sight we still need to endure and finish.

That was a long, tiring river journey, and we suffered a little (Rom. 5:3, “Not only this, but we also rejoice in sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,”), but it was worth it for the memories, the growing, and the togetherness.

I hope when our journey here ends we can say, “I have endured, I finished my journey, and I have kept the faith!”

Oh, and the two otters …to be continued.

Love You,
Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment